The Sports Center At Chelsea Piers Holds Runner Personal Safety Workshop
(New York, N.Y. – November 10, 2016) – The Sports Center at Chelsea Piers will be holding a Personal Safety Workshop designed specifically for runners on November, 15th, 2016 from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm. Taught by Martial Arts expert, Dan Kruy, the workshop will teach basic self-defense moves with a focus on valuable prevention skills. The class also hopes to educate and review basic steps runners can take to stay safe all year round.
“In lieu of recent attacks on runners in the city and tristate area, we don’t want runners to stop running because they don’t feel safe,” commented Jared Deptula, the General Manager of the Sports Center at Chelsea Piers. “We want these athletes to feel knowledgeable and prepared so they can continue to train in the sport they love.”
As the clocks turn back and it gets darker earlier, here are 10 tips for runners to keep in mind when exercising outside.
- Wear ID
- Tell someone your route and distance you plan to cover
- Do not run on a remote path, stay in a populated area
- Run against traffic not with traffic
- Run with a reflective vest and flashing light
- Do not run with headphones or at least only use one earbud so you can hear
- Make sure the footing on your path is well maintained
- Wear comfortable clothing and footwear
- Bring hydration and fuel for longer distance runs
- Know your surroundings and always run with a buddy when in a new and unfamiliar area
|Chelsea Piers Connecticut||Erica@chelseapiers.com|